The official Scrolls feedback thread! Post thoughts related to the newest build here

Hi everyone,

As mentioned in a post that's due to go live on Scrolls.com ASAP, we thought it would be useful to get all your feedback in one place.

Please list any suggestions, or feedback related to the newest build of Scrolls in this post. For more general suggestions (new modes, ideas for new Scrolls etc.) feel free to create your own thread or post in the appropriate part of scrollsfans.com.

Thanks for your understanding! We hope you enjoy the new features we've implemented.

Owen

Notes: Fixed "Scroll.com" typo
    Last edited by Fiskav: 3/2/2013 12:04:46 AM

I love the new changes, especially the challenges. I have always wanted to smash a bunny nut with locks and locks of graves.

The one-health idol level was somewhat of a crapshoot, and I failed them with my normal grave deck before I switched to a growth deck.It was a bit hectic to get enough wolves up for the win, but I got lucky and got two wolves in a row on the second try.

The haste level was in the same vein. Funny how the opponent uses libraries that suit the ruleset perfectly...I loved to use hasty iron ogres, and cringed when my opponent used them against me. Clock Libraries came and went like fertile soiled sisters.

I had such fun with the new ways of Calling, I would like to see them implemented for use in multiplayer. Who wouldn't want to play with the keystone idol arrangement or duel another player with Machination Mindset and Blast Strike permanently affixed to all summoned melee units? If it is possible, then it would be fun to have the option to:

1. Use the preprogrammed setups in quick play or challenges
    2. If possible, customize the setups, like having as a rule that all summoned gravelocks have blast strike but are poisoned, and destroyers all have haste and magma packs autoequipped on summon.
    3. If customized setups are a possibility, then it might be nice to be able to save the game rules.

Numbers 2 and 3 are a bit of a distant dream, I think, but, if at all possible, number 1 should be in the game.

I noticed a few bugs or inconveniences, though.

• I noticed that challenges cannot be replayed. Is that a bug or a feature?
    • The crazy bearded guy from the tutorial is replaced with a mustached guy with glasses.
    • The Honorable General doesn't have an animation.

Those are all the things that I could think of. On the whole, though, great patch!

Challenges not being replayable is a bug. It's been fixed locally. Note that when replaying them, you won't get the extra reward that you get the first time you complete a challenge. Thanks for reporting these bugs, we'll look into them. :)

I too like the idea of crazy game modes like that for multiplayer matches, especially if we can make it customizable. We've had some discussions about this internally, so it's definitely on the list of things we'd like in the long run :)

Last edited by MansOlson: 2/19/2013 8:47:35 AM

First I would like to say I really like this update, challenges are a nice addition, shop is a lot more fun then the old boring one. Vaettr of the Wild has to be the coolest looking creatures so far, we had enough humans so thanks for that. Wish all creatures had such an interesting animation, most of them just stand there. :P

I had my game just stop working once, it happened during an attack, one of my creatures attacked and then it all stopped, I could not surrender, had to restart the game, another time it froze for a couple of seconds, never happened before, I will report if it happens again. This could be just my PC but I thought I should add it just in case others experience this.

P.S: I poisoned a bunny yesterday, still feel bad about it. xD

Last edited by Folca: 2/19/2013 10:31:38 AM

I just had a nasty bug. I guess it's because the server stopped receiving the game data during the game.

I sacrificed 1 scroll and summoned another, but nothing happened. Tried to end turn, but the game just stood there, doing nothing. Surrendering did nothing, and so i decided to terminate the process.

In other words, the game didn't know how to handle not receiving info from the server, or so it seemed. I can't say for sure since i wasn't tracking anything and i don't know how the game cycle goes code-wise.

btw, the store icons for the resources need to be updated to the new ones introduced in this patch

Last edited by Ricardo_1991: 2/19/2013 10:16:10 AM

Good catch with the store resource icons. As for the bugs where the scrolls stop working, we're looking into it. Cheers :)

I love the challenge mode, it's a lot of fun! I especially like the unique objectives. Hopefully you'll have additional objectives in the future as well. Maybe some big boss monster being replaced by the idols? For example a three headed hydra that also gets its own attacks, each head being on its own row...

Anyways, I completed all the hard difficulty level challenges, here's a few points just about the challenge mode.

• I don't understand how the challenges are sorted in the menu. In my opinion they should be first sorted by difficulty level (easy/med/hard), then ascending by reward. Now the highest reward challenge is somewhere in the middle of hard challenges
    • Special units should look different, I propse you to have a star shaped icon on the hex under the unit, something like the icons here: http://quiltindex.kora.matrix.msu.edu/files/26/57/1A-39-1BE-138-KentuckyUofL-a0a1t4-a_7556.jpg (first pic I found)
    • I would actually have two different indicator for special units, as some seem to be boss units that can't be targeted by spells, others are just beefier versions of normal units. These "semi-boss" units should also have their own indicator so you realize their stats are different. I encountered these units in the challenge where opponent has three beefy skirmishers and an order deck, and you have to clear the table.
    • If the challenge is to clear the board, remove the idols from the opponent, they are confusing :)
    • Would be nice if the objective of the challenge was visible somewhere

EDIT:
    Also, one bug / inconvenience I found: When you choose a challenge and the challenge menu window disappears, if you click realy quick you can attempt to start another game. The UI should become inactive when you choose to start a challenge, I think.

Last edited by Linque88: 2/19/2013 1:31:24 PM

Feedback on drawing cards:
    It's very hard to notice when your opponent draws an additional scroll. Some kind of a clear animation where a scroll appears and moves to the opponent's counter at the bottom right would be very useful.

Suggestion for the store:

• When you buy a scroll the game should warn you if you now have more than 3 copies of that scroll.
    • The same before buying a face-up scroll (the ones we can see before buying).

Suggestion for the deck builder:

• Warn the player if he tries to add a 4th identical scroll to the deck

Suggestion for in-game:

• Hover to zoom the scroll, instead of clicking the zoom icon. The zoom icon should be kept but for touch interfaces.

Bug on Unity launcher:

• It doens't save the window size option an always sets to default the next time it is opened.
    Last edited by Ricardo_1991: 2/19/2013 2:42:10 PM

I also noticed that the game tends to think for a while (few seconds) after some moves and then resolves the turn. Before that it was almost instant. I even had the same problem as Ricardo_1991.

When I place units on the game board they sometimes show as a midget/smaller form and then after a half a second look normal. This could be an animation glitch, but also never happened to me before the patch.

I checked  the box so the game would remember my username and password, but after a second launch it forgot what I have entered.

Also: the preconstructed decks have become illegal as they contain only 40 scrolls and no new scrolls were added to them after the patch.

Last edited by Uziush: 2/19/2013 3:14:20 PM

Polska przejmuje Scrolls!

Quote from Linque88 »

• If the challenge is to clear the board, remove the idols from the opponent, they are confusing :)

Although making clear that idols isn't the goal may be useful to some users, I think removing idols isn't the best idea either.
    At the moment, I agree that it wouldn't change anything. However, a scroll could be added later which, for instance, gives you a bonus based on how much damage you've dealt to opponent's idols, or redirects some idol damage to other units. Thus, removing idols would unnecessarily limit the power of your deck...

In game: fomtg | Scrolls Wiki admin | Scrolls Guide Wiki admin | Playing Scrolls since 0.75 alpha | previous avatar:

Quote from Linque88»

I love the challenge mode, it's a lot of fun! I especially like the unique objectives. Hopefully you'll have additional objectives in the future as well. Maybe some big boss monster being replaced by the idols? For example a three headed hydra that also gets its own attacks, each head being on its own row...

I had the same idea, but with a tentacled monster. It would attempt to do 1 damage to any of your idols each turn if a row was empty, or it would do things like smash an entire row or target a specific creature and move it. Each tentacle would have 10 or so health. The win condition might be buffed to 5 "idols"(tenacles) destroyed, and it would need to have specific spells unique to it, though.

I like the new sounds system, fixes a few of the sound bug i was getting, i also like the sound/song you added to the deck builder. i kinda miss the old order icon though D:

EDIT: By also making it a single left click to do all actions this makes it 100% easier to play this on my tablet, so much fun on a tablet

Last edited by Blehard: 2/20/2013 5:30:44 AM

Quote from fomtg»

Although making clear that idols isn't the goal may be useful to some users, I think removing idols isn't the best idea either.
    At the moment, I agree that it wouldn't change anything. However, a scroll could be added later which, for instance, gives you a bonus based on how much damage you've dealt to opponent's idols, or redirects some idol damage to other units. Thus, removing idols would unnecessarily limit the power of your deck...

I get your point, but that shouldn't come into consideration with challenges. Some challenges are against a deck that has no structures, which limits the power of decks that have anti-structure scrolls. Some have a lot of strucutres. Some have special monsters that can't be targeted by spells. The situation limits power of certain decks.

It doesn't make any sense to have the idols there if destroying them isn't the goal. In normal game the idols are always there, challenges are special. It is very clunky to have gameplay elements that don't serve any function on the board distracting players. Lacks polish.

The beauty of challenges is that sometimes you have to make a special deck to beat it.

Quote from 3athompson»

I had the same idea, but with a tentacled monster. It would attempt to do 1 damage to any of your idols each turn if a row was empty, or it would do things like smash an entire row or target a specific creature and move it. Each tentacle would have 10 or so health. The win condition might be buffed to 5 "idols"(tenacles) destroyed, and it would need to have specific spells unique to it, though.

Yeah, there are a lot of bosses types that can work well with the current layout. Could even just be one giant creature that can be hit on any row. Hope this idea gets picked up.

December was way back in the cloud-shrouded past, yet still no open beta or new alpha invites? That is so very-very sad. Even more sad than my broken English.

The update is awesome!

However three things:
    - With the bigger decks mulligan is even more important to have now. A bad starting hand dooms the entire game.
    - I still think 2v2 would be the best thing since sliced bread. :D
    - When sellings scrolls have a tickbox to display just the ones you have more than 3 of

Last edited by XENOpz: 2/22/2013 9:37:48 AM

“I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment of my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment.”
    Raistlin Majere, The Soulforge

Quote from Wyr »

December was way back in the cloud-shrouded past, yet still no open beta or new alpha invites? That is so very-very sad. Even more sad than my broken English.

Indeed this is sad D: even more sad than this guy thinking his english is that bad (its not that bad bro :3)

Best suggestion ever:

Let us play scrolls... =<

Great job, Mojang. The challenges are a a lot of fun and the store changes are good. It does feel like it's going to be pay-to-win, though. A good deck will cost hundreds of thousands, and you can grind a hundred gold per game. In particular, it would be frustrating as a casual player to consistently be matched against people with inferior ability and superior decks. As I mentioned in chat before, I really think that a formal mechanism for challenging people to a default-cards-only game would be a lot of fun.

I'm loving the update. The new store is so much better than the first iteration. Being able to decide (wihtin certain boundaries) what scrolls you get was a necessity. Also the new challenges add a lot of fun and decent one-time gold rewards to the game.

I have a suggestion for the next iteration of the store though.
    The sell section needs some work still. I created an Image to show the concept:

Scrolls Shop Suggestion

Ingame: Varicus

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes